1. To create pawn draw these two shapes for the beginning.
2. Here are 3 sub steps that you have to do. In first select circle and convert it to Edit Spline. Go to Geometry rollout and with selected Refine button create new vertex. In second sub step delete segments like it is shown and attach these two shapes. In third weld vertex that blend and select all vertex without first one and last one. Right click on it and chose Smooth.
3. Apply Lathe modifier and follow instruction from next picture.
4. To create knight draw plane in one of the viewports and again follow these three sub steps.
5. When you create profile of the knight figure apply Shell modifier and set inner amount whatever you like but try to get something like I did. Convert object to Edit Mesh and select outer edges and chamfer them a little bit and apply Turbo Smooth. To create base of a figure, use lathe method.
6. Convert knight to Edit Mesh and create simple cylinder with 3 sides and place it like I did. Go to Compound Object under the Create Panel and with Boolean operations cut the hole.
7. Here is a quick creating of the king. You can use this picture as reference.
8. For the rest of a figure just create little cross and for queen eight spheres. Using same lathe and Boolean method you can create bishop and rook figures.
9. To create board you must create one half. Here is a print screen of it. Convert to Edit Mesh and detach all sides, one by one.
10. Here is a print screen how you should place your maps, diffuse and bump( they come with tutorial)
11. Wood material ( only change diffuse map).
12. Here is a light setup and. Color of light is light orange.
13. Very simple VRay render setup.
14. Go Render Element and Add VRay Zdepth element, click on enable. When you do this go to renderer and turn on VRay frame buffer.
15. When you save RGB and ZDepth images go to Photoshop for little make up. Copy ZDepth image to channel of RGB like in this print screen. After that is done go to filers and apply Lens Blur to RGB image, in source chose Alpha 1 and set Blur Focal Distance and Radius whatever you like.
16. For that old picture look import some old paper texture and paste it above RGB image and chose Overlay blend type and reduce opacity a little bit. To finish picture like I did type something like ‘’Chess’’ and blur it.
Textures used in this tutorial: