Convert plance into Editable Poly. Go to Modify tab. Activate Edge selection.Then, select one edge like image below.
2. Activate Select And Move tool. While holding Shift, drag edge to the right to create copy of polygon. Do it 4 times until you get polygons like image below. Next, repeat the same process with the left side. This time, Shift+drag 6 times. You can look at image below for reference.
3. Change selection to Vertex. Move vertices to shape dolphin's body.
4.When finished, change selection back to Edge. Select all vertical edges ( For easy selection, just select one edge and click Ring in Selection rollout). Then in Edit Edges rollout, click Settings button right next to Connect. Fill Segments=2. Click OK.
5. Then, select all vertical edges in upper body. Use Connect Settings again. This time use Segments=1 and Slide=-54. You will get connecting edges close to upper edges.
6. Repeat above process to create connecting edges at the bottom of body.
7. Change selection to Vertex. Move vertices located at the middle of body. Move them along X axis. Your dolphin's body will get volume. This process here is a tedious, long, and need patience. A lot of tweaking is required here. Use image below for reference. Tips: Begins with middle vertices, the outer vertices.
1. Continue with previous lesson or you can download 3dsmax file here. This time, we are going to create pectoral flipper. In Left viewport, select a polygon like image below.
2. In Edit Polygons rollout, use Bevel three times to create pectoral flipper. Everytime you add Bevel, you need to adjust its polygon position and size.
3. Next, let's move to dorsal fin, a small fin at the back of dolphin. Change selection to Edge. Select one edge like image below. Shift+drag three times to create more polygons. Everytime you shif drag, scale the edge, and move to its position to match the background image.
4. Next step, we will add depth to dorsal fin. Select all horizontal edges in dorsal fin. Use Connect Settings to add edges. Use parameters like image below.
5. Now, change selection to Vertex. Move vertices in the middle to give dorsal fin a depth.
6. Next step is to create a tail. Change selection to Polygon. In Left viewport, select 6 polygons at the tail part of dolphin.Use Extrude three times. Everytime you add extrusion, adjust vertices to shape a tail. Use image below for reference. Next in Part 3 tutorial, we are going to adjust dolphin's head. Finished file of this part 2 tutorial can be downloaded here.
You may want to download previous exercise file here (3dsmax 8 format, zipped). If you have followed previous tutorial, then use your own model. Now, look at dolphin's head area. In Left viewport, select all horizontal edges like image below. Then, use Connect Settings with parameters Segments=2, and Pinch=65.
2. After that, change selection into Vertex. Adjust vertices to create nose volume. Also, move vertices a little bit in areas shown with arrows. For dolphin's nose I add more length, different from blueprint image..
3. We will adjust dolphin's head more. Select all horizontal edges like image below. Use Connect with Segments=1. Then, move vertices to shape head a little bit more rounded.
4. Next step, let's give an eye. Use Vertex as selection tool. Select one vertex in the eye area. Use Chamfer to create a square shape. Then, select all edges in that square shape. Use Extrude with negative value to give an engraved look. Your dolphin has an eye now. Part 3 finished file can be downloaded here.
Continue your previous tutorial lesson or download exercise file here (3dsmax 8 format, zipped). De-activate all sub-object selection. In Modify tab, select Mirror modifier from Modifier List. Use Mirror Axis=Z and activate Copy option. You will get another half of dolphin's body. Then, add another modifier, Turbosmooth.
2. After you applied Turbosmooth, do a test render, you may notice a seam between right and left body. It is usual thing to happens, whenever you model any objects using a half side method.
3. Now, we are going to remove the seam. First, in Modifier Stack delete Turbosmooth modifier. Then, in viewport, right click on dolphin object, and choose Convert to>Convert to Editable Poly. Now, we are ready to remove the seam. In Modifier Stack, activate Editable Poly row. Activate Vertex selection. In Front viewport, select all vertices in the middle of dolphin's body. In Edit Vertices rollout, click Settings button right next to Weld. This tool is use to combine 2 or more vertices into 1. Use your own Weld Threshold value or use value like image below. Notice Number of Vertices before and after welding. Click OK.
4. De-activate all sub-object selection. Apply Turbosmooth modifier. Do a test render. Now, all seams have gone away.
4. Dolphin model is finished. Finished dolphin model can be downloaded here.